Friday, March 20, 2009

The Armor of God
10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


My boys were so excited after Awana the other night. They got to help teach the other kids in their class about putting on the "armor of God." My 6 year old was a little surprised that other children had not heard about the sword of the spirit or the breastplate of righteousness. I'm so proud of them!
On a somewhat related note, did you all know that you are apparently supposed to take your shoes off before going into Chic-Fil-A? I might be exaggerating a bit, but I was told by family members that it was a "holy place." No wonder they don't come with us on Tuesday nights! Oh brother! Do you ever feel like that family on the Simpsons? With the boys and their dad always singing, "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart." That stupid show sure painted Christians in a bad light, didn't it? It's hard to be a witness for Christ when people think you're an intolerant fool. And apparently Chic-Fil-A is a meeting place for our cult or something! I'm a little miffed, can you tell?
A p.s. to said family members if you read this... Don't worry, I'll get over it. I love you! Even if you do think I'm a weirdo. :)

2 comments:

Jen Milne said...

Good job, mama, in teaching your precious boys. I haven't taught mine those verses yet, what a great idea for morning devotions, they will love it, especially if we have props, lol. Thanks for the inspiration.

And, btw, my family thinks I am closed minded, ignorant weirdo, but they love me anyway. If only they realized that they were deceived and lost but God loves them anyway...

UtahJenny said...

How wonderful that your boys know all that, what a strength that will be to them. And we are repentant former Simpson viewers and we often sing "I've got that joy, joy, joy" song, just like those little Flanders. I guess it's kind of good to be on the werid side of things the way society is going. I would much rather my boys understand the armor of God than every nintendo/wii/xbox thing out there! good for you and thanks for "visiting" yesterday ... so nice to meet another Jenny! :)